22 July 2009

Restart

A series of incidents finally came and passed like a storm, I'll spare the details but everything's back the way it should have been. I'm suddenly so nostalgic about my time left as a free man because I'm about to sell two years of my life to the country as I'll be serving National Service on this Friday onwards. The weeks before has been nothing but outings, in fact more than I could ever count since the start of this year.

I've been hanging out with close friends, making new friends and spending money - hey nobody said going out was cheap. Well, the price was taking my social circle to the next level which I'm glad to say at least that it's not regrettable. It really does my heart good that people will be missing me at least while I complete seven weeks of BMT on the island offshore. Although I personally think my mom is over exaggerating about how much she would miss me for not seeing me for a whole two weeks (we're not allowed to go home in the first two weeks). She's always saying how I'm not really independent yet she clearly doesn't want to let go of her apron strings, it's a real irony but that's a mother's love.

Tekong, the name of the island, is going to be a brand new start in my life once again. Feels like starting on the first day of primary school all over again; totally no idea what's in store ahead, the people you'll meet, the challenges ahead. Heck, the island's infamous for a lot of hauntings, that's another hefty worry that will scare the pants out of any light hearted souls. And what's worst is that my seven week BMT coincides with the Hungry Ghost Festival, so I also hope everything goes bodes well for me. When it comes to the supernatural, the only two survival advice comes to mind:

1) Respect others - Ghosts are still considered an individual, have respect for them and they are not likely to bother you
2) Don't find unnecessary trouble - With regards to the previous point plus, if there's an unclean area, be cautious and not let the overly adventurous spirit take over
3) Carry a strong heart - As long you are pure of heart, there's really nothing to fear about

When people said Polytechnic was the place where you had to grow up fast, in comparison, NS was like the place it prepares you to live your own fast. After two years of this, I expect probably an overhaul to basically everything about me. I'm always wishing if it's ever possible to meet up with your older self in advance to find out if everything's going alright for one.

I'm actually feeling a little bit excited for once again in my life.

No comments: