08 August 2010

The Long Road

Lyrics in a song capture the intense feelings and thoughts of the lyricist and transforms them into a message in the form of music to let the world listen and understand. Such is that of the NDP theme songs that has since birthed from 1998 onwards. It has ever since, become a tradition that every year's celebration must come with a theme song that focuses and captures accordingly to the theme for the parade that year, alongside a subtle message for everyone to ponder over.

1) 1998 - Home

"Establishing and never forgetting your roots..."

2) 1999 - Together

"Because unity is one."

3) 2000 - Shine on me

"Always shining no matter where."

4) 2001 - Where I belong

"I know and I remember."

5) 2002 - We will get there

"It's a long way, but we will..."

6) 2003 - One united people/ A place in my heart

"Steady and stabilized."

7) 2004 - Home (remake)

8) 2005 - Reach out for the skies

"Catch your dreams and follow it..."

9) 2006 - My Island Home

"Glorify."

10) 2007 - There's no place I'd rather be/ Will you?

"There's no other you."

11) 2008 - Shine for Singapore

"I know and I remember."

12) 2009 - What do you see?

"We question the future, which needs to be secured by the present."

13) 2010 - Song for Singapore

"Be thankful."

Corrine May did a fantastic job with introducing sentimentality and remembrance for this year's theme song. It definitely matches the theme for this year.

No comments: