16 September 2008

Away From Me

Already the second week of my elective science module, while I'm delighted with my progress and the knowledge of new biological concepts but the "enthusiasm" of my facilitator just makes the whole lesson die. It's not that he's that bad, but he is simply...well words fail me - even my IT modules, it's much lively in there even when I cannnot comprehend. I also worry about how to cram so much concepts into my head and remember them, I was warned that the UT questions are all open ended and often in loopholes.

I'm quite attached to this particular picture I found on the Internet, I'm not exactly sure why but I can relate to it. We all relate to a lot of things we just don't see a connection to at first touch, and obviously, I'm not the couple. And if you think I'm putting myself in the shoes of the soldier guys and you're wrong too, go interpret this picture according to you but I got my own.

Enough about me, me and me, we got to focus our attention on Mother Earth now! I watched an interesting documentary 'A Global Warning?' over the weekend, and it highlights a lot of things about the global warming issue we are encountering right now but are in denial - well at least to the people who want to avoid making a loss in profits for their economy. The folks really went way back to gather weather pattern data and such to try to make out what our future is going to be like and what are we exactly in for if our ignorance continues. Apparently, this was the summary:

The global temperature is rising and they're trying to find the main culprit, so check these suspects out.

1) The world has the bulk of the greenhouse gas, Methane, stored as Methane Hydrates under the ocean floor and due to the warming of the seas, they risk being broken down and escape to the atmosphere as gas. While not only do they trap heat, can you imagine if one day when a lightning storm occurs in an atmosphere stuffed full with Methane? We're talking at the scale of a nuclear explosion...

2) While volcanoes also spew out greenhouse gas (a lot actually), rarely do we have too many of the culprits - the supervolcanoes lying around. There is currently one situated at USA, the Yellowstone and it's told that it's 50 years overdue for an eruption.

3) Carbon dioxide, nothing beats the world's popular pollutant like they can. While this is a natural occurring gas in the atmosphere, providing plants as a source of material for making food, too much is actually a bane to everyone. Like methane, it traps heat but of course while Methane is more effective in trapping more heat but we have Carbon Dioxide at an uncontrollable amount in the atmosphere right now.

You can thank the countries that spew out this pollutant daily from cars, burning or fossil fuels and crazy energy demands.

4) Sunspots can cause much irregularities to our global temperature too, but currently the Sun is doing fine with it's sunspots so moving on...

5) Comets - when was the last time we were hit by one? This is one of the agents that can cause a sudden breakout in temperature and climate control but when was the last time such an event hit us? There was a theory somewhere in the timeline, this was supposedly responsible for a sudden eradication of 95% of life on Earth but they still lack proof to support this theory.

6) Our ice, which acts as a natural heat reflector is slowly disappearing and converting into water. Arctic, Greenland, Antarctica as long there's ice, you name it. Because oceans are dark in colour, exposing more of them means absorbing more heat rather than reflecting heat. Also there's the rise in water levels and endanger/extinction of particular animal life (polar bears). Permafrost at Alaska is also melting which dangers the fact of not only causing huge sinkholes, they also exposed dead plants beneath them which when bateria acts on them - causing more Methane as a byproduct to enter the atmosphere.

7) Of course, there's also not forgetting crazy climates - Hurricane Katrina, what more can we say?

It's not hard to tell that human activites are the cause for this impending disaster, but rather than pointing fingers now, it's better to try to think up a solution fast because we're running out of time. While "The Day After Tomorrow"'s weather effects sound a bit far-fetched, some of them are likely to come true. As the closing of the documentary asks...

"What will it take for us to finally wake up and realize it?"

No comments: